Friday, January 29, 2010

Noh's Mask

I’m just an ordinary lady I used to envy those whom can conceal their heart or emotion. As most people who really know me said, I’m a ‘lurus bendul’ type of person. They can ‘read’ my facial expression so easily. They can ‘see’ when I’m happy, angry, tired or even pissed off.

After reading Memoir of Geisha, I’m so enchanted by the concept of noh mask. Actually, I’ve heard about it before, but as days passed me by, the will to find it out more about it, diminished.


Noh are a form of Japanese theater that is still presented today, combining Buddhist themes, music and dance. Masks have played an integral role during Japan's long history for many religious, ceremonial and performance events. The mask may signify a heroic individual, evil character, spirit, god, devil or mythical animal. No one knows for sure how noh drama and the wearing of masks developed. Before they evolved into theatrical presentations, the masks may have been used as a form of religious ritual. Perhaps they covered the deceased's face, were used to defeat evil spirits or acted as religious offerings for medical treatment. Some historians believe the masks were used to emphasize beauty by hiding normal facial expressions. Masks work just like makeup, covering a face and transforming appearance.

You know, how I despised makeup, unless I have to put it on. For work, mostly. Prefer to be natural. How I wish to be able to wear my own noh mask. Made from invisible materials. So that, nobody ever guess that I’m wearing one. In life full of poker faced individuals, it an advantage! Oh, how good it could be. To be able to put a straight face every single moment of the day without revealing a slightest emotion of my inner feeling. To be able to conceal what I feel inside. To be able to defeat without loosing my own spirit and soul.

It is amazing, right!

No comments:

Post a Comment